Monday, October 1, 2012

When Your Computer Crashes (Yes, a PC)

Yes indeed – it did; and spectacularly so. It took my remote IT person and me over an hour to get him logged on, it was so infected.  But thankfully we have a cloud and everything’s backed up, but for the lovely document I was working on, which, you guessed it, was a blog entry. 
 
Some extensive research will need to be duplicated; some brilliant thoughts will need to be re-thought. But today where the actual machine is quasi irrelevant, crashes are not the drama they used to be.  Anybody who saves documents ONLY on their machine deserves a slap upside the head (you know who you are and you know that I know). Loosing data today should be a thing of the past. 

 
Yet I know quite a few people who don’t feel safe saving their information on the cloud (some of those same people have no problem tethering their smart phones and laptops to public Wi-Fi hotspots. You might as well shout out your credit card number AND the safety pin in a crowded mall.) But I digress.
 
How safe is the cloud really?  It’s all in a password. I always love when I read posts where the writer admonishes readers that “1,2,3,4” is not a password, neither is “QWERT”, nor your birthdate or Fido’s name.  And still – we can and must do so much more to protect ourselves from being accessed.  It’s not a matter of “I don’t have anything anybody would want to steal”, it’s a question of identity theft, of malicious destruction without any rhyme or reason.  Where do we KEEP our passwords?  Any suggestions on choosing and keeping passwords safe?  I’d love to hear from you.
 
Here a few suggestions from Microsoft and Google. 

No comments:

Post a Comment