Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks

Switzerland does not have a holiday to give thanks and I think every country should. My first Thanksgiving in America – I had been here for 11 months - I must have had about a dozen invitations so I would not be alone. I do not remember where I went, but I do remember one of my first Thanksgiving meals in the following years spent with the big family of my friend, with all the trimmings and the leftovers for days after and, of course black Friday – what a concept.

There was nothing not to love about Thanksgiving – it’s non-denominational, no gift giving involved.

One year, maybe 15 years ago, I hosted a thanksgiving dinner for ten people. Trouble started early when I picked up the 20 pounds turkey from the farmer’s market not realizing that a 20 pound turkey was going to weigh 20 pounds (duh). It had never occurred to me either that the turkey might not fit my oven – it did with 2 mm of clearance all around. Then I did not tie the legs together with nylon but left the cotton strings the bird came with, which of course singed and disintegrated in the oven which resulted in a literal spread eagle and a VERY dry affair. The one thing that did turn out great was my mom’s recipe for gravy and we sure needed it for the dry turkey. Needless to say I have been the very fortunate recipient of invitations to Thanksgiving ever since.

Thanksgiving gives me an opportunity to reflect on what I am thankful for without being caught up in the frenzy of the Christmas and New Year’s holidays. Other than a roof over my head, food on my table and the newest gadget I am thankful for having the opportunities I’ve been afforded by my upbringing and my education, for a really cool job I love and for working with so many awesome people that run the gamut from CEO’s of fortune 500 companies, to community leaders, diplomats, college students, teamsters and some serious divas (of all sizes, shapes and forms).

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment