Monday, August 30, 2010

AALBC.com Backyard Screening

Saturday night was a perfect night - warm, dry and starry. Troy Johnson of the AALBC.com hosted a wonderful backyard screening in his brownstone in Harlem. The Q&A afterwards was very enlightening - a very different crowd than the one on Wednesday at Global Kids, they focused more on the filmmakers choice of kids in the film and their ethnic and social backgrounds - I enjoyed that discussion very much and it also showed me on how many different levels the film can be viewed and critiqued.
As there was no 'escape' during the screening I did see the film for the first time in a while in its entirety and it was mind boggling to me that I once though that every frame was necessary. There is so much I would cut out now and so much else I would like to put in. The two stories that I miss seeing the most are the more 'street wise' kid, maybe one that is even struggling with his/her faith and a West African Muslim.
But hindsight is always 20/20 even as we get older and need reading glasses.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nina it was a pleasure hosting you and viewing the film. Would you believe the last people left after 2AM talking about your film an relaed subjects. Everyone enjoyed themselves. At least two of the educators present are quite anxious to share the film in their school. I would be nice to be able to see you re-editted version... Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete